Ok, so here is my blog!

I am writing this blog because I want to understand myself better as a person. I want to show both you and me some of the challanges I had in my life and these past years of studying abroad in England when being Swedish.

I hope that my thoughts and comments can help you in any way if you have had challanges and want to try to understand what you have learnt from them.

I reflect upon experiences and trying to understand what I have learnt from them because I believe everything happens for a reason, I often feel the need to find it when I need to deal with something difficult.

Hope this can help you get some insight and encouragement when you have challenges and if not, hopefully you enjoyed reading it anyway

xx
Rebecca

Thursday 27 January 2011

Studying in the UK

To study in the UK, to move from your home, to move from your old friends, to move from what you know can be difficult. For me it was a really big change - although exciting, very daunting and scary. I have been lucky though as the first day at uni on the international week I met Alex AKA Bangs, the day after I met Martina AKA Cherry and we have been friends since. Friends are very important to me and to have a safety net like them is very important  too. We have been though a lot together - break ups, drama, lovers, uni, party, really sad times and really  good times.  After all, that’s what friends are for right?  To be there  in sickness and in health. When we are down and when we are happy we need to  share the experience with someone and I have been lucky to share it with my new little family. Oh, I’m in the SM building and need to move so  I will continue later...

Ok I’m back! So Yea family and friends  are important to me and without them  I dont think the experience will have  been the same and as good as it has been.

When studying abroad your life changes. Because you don’t have different areas of social life as you probably do in your home town. I left all my friends and got two new really good friends. I am lucky enough to have many  close friends in Sweden but I don’t have that here. Those I do have, however are the best ones I could ever wish for. Ok back to the topic - sorry I am wandering off here talking about my awesome friends - what I meant to say was that here in the UK you have to work hard to create something similar to a normal life. It took me a couple of years to get to were I am now and it is only getting better.

First year I only had Alex and Martina. We hung out every day more or less and did everything together. Also, I wanted a normal life so I did not go out the first year much at all as I thought that having a good base at home (which I am used to) was more important. So we sat at home and cooked dinner, film and all that. We did go out, don’t get me wrong but as it was important for us to have a home we were busy creating that.

Second year I got more close to my course mates and they even have a name for me which makes me feel very special, loved and as if I belong. They call me Swedish!
Third year is the best year but is it not always? The last year of something significant in your life does have an effect on you that  it is the best. You will have the best time and will want to make the most  out of it as it is about to end. But....I don’t want to talk about that. This blog, will however take you through my journey as a student abroad for three years. I will talk about what I experience and how I will cope with it.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment